Spring Break Outreach 2006 Juarez Mexico

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Day 1-Billings

As a teenager waking up before 7:30 is not easy. Waking up at 6 and having to socialize and make a good first impression with the people you have to spend the next two weeks with is even worse.

The morning started as the first lot of us were picked up at first crc. Before loading onto the bus we dispersed into a circle and spent time in prayer…why we had to do it in the bitter cold is personally beyond me. We loaded up and continued on our journey to pick up the next lot of us in Mackenzie town.

The toured through the vast unchanging sights of the Alberta prairies; from Calgary to Lethbridge to the border. When we reached customs it took and unexpected long time. We all had to file out of the bus and one by one get scanned. In addition to this all of the non Canadian citizens had to spend some extra time in there. I don’t know exactly what went on, but a few of them came back with very frustrated looks on their faces.

After finally leaving the border, It took a while to get back into our comfortable positions (us intelligent teenagers decided that cramming ourselves in the back of the bus by the garbage and toilets was a great idea… this is what happens to us at 7 in the morning). At one point there was even four us piled into a two seated area. Although claustrophobic, the literally up close and personal bonding experience was quite entertaining.

For personal entertainment the movie Chicken Little was played. I watched about 3 minutes of it until I was completely passed out from a combination of boredom and utter exhaustion from my early awakening. I woke up suddenly to the sounds of chickens singing during the credits of the movie, and from the sounds of things I didn’t miss out on a lot.

When I finally was completely awake, we stopped for a pit stop at some diner/mini store. I was pretty stoked because I wanted to experience the American sweets and beverages that aren’t safe enough to be legal in Canada. Disappointed by the selection, I settled with a blue power drink and tortilla chips. Little was I to know the chips were the highlight of my day.

The group of teenagers I was hanging out with had obviously become more comfortable with each other though the day because by the evening we were much more sociable, chatty, and comfortable around each other. The last stretch of the trip passed by much more quickly.

When we finally reached the destination, I was moderately disappointed because it had only been a few minutes beforehand when I discovered the most comfortable position to sleep in on a bus.

We were to stay in a church called Corner Stone Community Church located in Billings, Montana. Exhausted, all I wanted to do was rolled out my sleeping back and go to sleep yet I was easily convinced to stay awake with the idea of hot pizza. After a day of barely anything to eat, the thought of greasy American goodness was warming to my senses.

After our meal we all got ready for bed and ended the night with a prayer and hope for an enjoyable day tomorrow.


Maria- Rose

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home